Monday, January 2, 2012

Christmas Storage - Easy DIY Methods

We all know how excited I was to put up our Christmas decorations. In fact, I was pretty sneaky about getting it up early. But, now I'm getting excited about organizing the way I store all of our holiday decor. What a conundrum!


Once again, it was pinterest to the rescue with some great, simple, and cheap organization ideas, the number one being storing your ornaments in plastic cups that have been glued to cardboard. This makes sense for a multitude of reasons, the best being that they won't be rolling around, hitting eachother in storage, if you keep the hooks on, they won't get tangled up, and you can remove the whole board they're attached to for easy decorating, rather than going back and forth with a few ornaments at a time. So here is a peek at my Christmas storage:



As you can see, I just hot glued the shorter plastic cups to layers of cardboard that fit the storage container. I purchased these particular containers from Wal-Mart about two years ago. They are made up of a strong fabric, so they weren't doing much to protect my ornaments from damage. And even though these ornaments or the "shatter-proof" kind, I still want to keep them in good shape. The cups provide each ornament with a cozy space that keeps them ding free. On the top layer, I also added a separate cup for ornament hooks. This way they are always by the ornaments and easy access.


Here's a peek at the layers. With three stacks, it holds 50 ornaments, which is my entire collection of these silver, gold, and glittery ball ornaments.


For my more special and breakable ornaments, I purchased a storage container with a hard, plastic shell. Each ornament still has its own space and is protected from damage.



For the rest of my Chrismas decor, like the tree skirt and topper, I used another red, fabric storage bin. To give my decorations some more protection, I fashioned a foam core insert to create a hard shell. I just cut it to size and hot-glued the frame together. Easy peasy! It zips right up and all of my other decorations are in one easy spot.


So, there you have it. A rundown of my holiday storage plus some super easy (and inexpensive) tips to retrofit your current storage for more protection.


Do you get excited about organizing holiday storage? Just me? Bueller? Do you have any other tips or tricks for easy storage?? Share below!

No comments:

Post a Comment